Bluelight Admin and Senior Staff Discussion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Need Help - Beta Testing of "Testlight" in preparation of bringing BL back up

2 posters

Go down

Need Help - Beta Testing of "Testlight" in preparation of bringing BL back up Empty Need Help - Beta Testing of "Testlight" in preparation of bringing BL back up

Post  TLB Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:12 am

Do NOT share this with non-sr.staff as yet. Admin have been in it a few days, we want smods in there ASAP to get familiar with the new site and help find issues that need to be fixed.

url - testlight.bluelight.ru
login - lockthemout
pwd - letmein

Once you get past that you will be in a sandbox version of our site. The database if from a year ago, so many ex-staff may still be on there, and some newer staff will need to get their permissions fixed in order to 'act as a mod' once we share this with them. All of your Smod accounts should be at full smod power as of now. HOWEVER, your accounts on testlight will still be using whatever email and pwd you used a year ago (recall, this testing db is that old), so if you have issues, contact an admin (... or better yet, try out the pwd reset!! Wink ) and we'll get you sorted.

Below is some info from the admin discussions to this point, so you know what we ran into and what some answers are.

TLB

Back to top Go down

Need Help - Beta Testing of "Testlight" in preparation of bringing BL back up Empty Re: Need Help - Beta Testing of "Testlight" in preparation of bringing BL back up

Post  TLB Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:16 am

ocean wrote:Notes as I'm going through:
Home page does not work- Looking through FORUMS works.

Global Workshop looks good.

Announcements looks good- all links working. (not staff contact, which hoptis is aware of)

Testing grounds looks good.

(I'm not a regular in the focus forums- but to my best look)
ED looks good, CD,SD and PD look good. (all links working)

TPH,SS,NMI,SLR,SO,HL,E&C,TL and TDS all look good and set.......

TDS has a broken link but it may have been a mistake b/c it's the one word thread and it may have been archived and linked into the thread that is closed- which would give a broken link.

The BLUA is not up through one forum- (I'm going to look back to see which one again) Edit: when I went back through, it looked like it may have been a one time error?)

Crew forum looks good.

EMD looks good, links are working fine.
NEMD looks good, BLUA link works and brings up BLUA.
Words looks good.
F&T looks good.
All links into profiles look good so far as well.
S&G looks good (though I don't know most threads there)
Aussie forums look good- links are working.
European and NA forums look good.
Links working.

When on main index or inside a forum- there is a button where BLUA was that sayd BLUELIGHT- when clicked, an error message is brought up saying:
"Home Edit
Not Published
There is no content in this section"
There is no BLUA button at the bottom of the forum index.

Blogs looks good-
I like that Blogs will be on the main page- That'll make the Blogs mods happy.....maybe get a little more traffic in there.

Support as well- All links into wiki working.
From index, the RSS feed and "Subscribe" buttons are also hidden under the post lists from main index.

ocean wrote:I really like the list of links........
I was just gong through the F&T index and really like the way the list looks-
I haven't clicked all the links (and won't it's about 101;)) But the links are working and it looks so nice!!
This is going to be awesome.

hoptis wrote:Removed gallery files, images and a whole bunch of other unused pages..

VVV Plugins are an admin only thing as far as access and editing.
hoptis wrote:
So far today I've done (all on TL)

mod_rewrite URLS: if you go to forums, threads and members, you'll notice the URL is a lot nicer than before. This isn't just for aesthetics, it greatly improves our visibility to search engines.

XML sitemap: another under the cover thing but our forum will now regularly generate xml sitemaps, once again another thing that search engines look kindly upon

Plugins: see my previous post. What we've salvaged will have to be good enough, I've no doubt the mods will miss the 'Close Thread reason' trick but we'll have to do without.

Attachments: while the site was offline, something we've been meaning to do for a while, dump all the attachments from the database unto the file system. Going forward this gives us opportunities to better host important files pdfs/docs related to drug studies for example

Home page: what you see on TL right now is how far I've gotten. The CMS is a lot to try and pick up and making the home page work and look like before was always going to be a tough ask. The news/announcements will be rolled into one blog-roll-like thing. You'll be able to promote articles from a thread (i.e. Drug Studies, DiTM, Announcements, etc.) or even write your own... getting the forum list to work might be painful. (Also, non-admins can't view the home page, anyone know wtf that is?)

(All of the above needs to be copied from TL to BL as well)

Staff contact list: probably isn't going to make it in time, we'll have to make do without (we did for years anyway Wink)

Still to do: menu items that aren't relevant need to be removed, logo needs to be replaced/reworked, background color on notices needs to be changed, need to check registration is working as before (welcome wagon PM & email), PM's are okay...

If we get that skin we can throw it on and see how it looks, anything would be better than the default.

Also: there's a quick and dirty mobile skin Chris dropped on the server we might be able to throw up and please someone remind me to put Google Analytics code back on BL before it goes public!

hoptis wrote:New skin is installed on Testlight, you can check it out anytime, thanks to Chris for supplying that.

Home page: still working on it, I've done a lot of reading up/learning on vBulletin 4 in the last 24 hours, have a much better idea of how to finish off Home and even perhaps to sneak in the staff contact list, either before or shortly after launch. Feeling a lot more confident that this is going to go well. You can see an example of using plugins, templates and widgets to create the 'Features' box on the Home of Testlight's default skin. Wish I'd had time to set all this up before the move but I really didn't, there is an element of trial-and-error with some of the stuff I'm doing but don't really see a way around that, plus the more I pick up, the more other stuff I can do.

Still on home, what I'm working on on TL is what will be the final design in terms of home page, articles that appear in the first box, gonna have to play with settings to make it look great but they're meant to replace our Front Page forum and Announcements and DiTM front page.. still needs a bit more work before I ask for a fairly rigorous round of testing to BL. Where it says 'Post to Article' next to a post, I'll leave it to you guys to see if this can be turned off, at least for-non staff, for now I think anly Admins should be allowed to post new Articles.

VVV Akismet is a plugin that is admin-only for now.
hoptis wrote:
TLB wrote:Quick response:
Additionally, and admin (and probably smods) ought take a look at info on the vb site for update logs to know what'll be different. I'd hoped to give some links to the change logs, but I'm coming up empty right now. Anyone else can take a look at vbulletin.com and-or I'll see what I can provide tonight.

I'll write up a summary when we go public, one for members and one for staff.

The changes aren't drastic but on a day-to-day level will definitely affect every staff member.

PS. The latest version of the manual is always here:

https://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/

But I don't expect you to read it , or even a changelog.

If someone has time free, I'd love it if they could test (or try and figure out how to) test the Akismet plugin in the new Spam Management setting.

TLB

Back to top Go down

Need Help - Beta Testing of "Testlight" in preparation of bringing BL back up Empty Re: Need Help - Beta Testing of "Testlight" in preparation of bringing BL back up

Post  TLB Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:23 am

hoptis wrote:
Cane2theLeft wrote:I've checked the permission settings of the usergroups in all of the main forums (so not the subforums, archives, etc.) and couldn't find any problems/inconsistencies.

Did you try logging in as members of different usergorups as well? Remember you can change any random BL'ers password on TL.... we always need to be on our toes when making modifications that the existing security hierarchy of the forums is still being implemented properly.

Also, can someone familiar with Blogs go through the Blog settings, in the ACP they're off in their own area but keep your eyes peeled for any new functionality we may need to turn off and implement more carefully later.

hoptis wrote:Summary, all on TL.

• I've set ARIA as a top-level skin, and created a child of it which I've been working on.
  • The home page is done, or at least as done as I can do right now. I'm still not happy the forums list is in a giant table (note to Reed et all: HTML tables are out, looked down upon, must go... I've replaced the Features section with a table-less version, the forums list is too big to do right now, I did manage to convert all the links to forums to the new format).
  • Squeezed the news/announcements area down as much as possible
  • Copied over the replacement variables from the old skin
  • Removed vB's built in FAQs
  • Turned off user profile features, all except 'friends'. Think this was just a TL thing
  • Top nav: removed community from subnav and moved 'Friends and Contacts to 'Quick Links'
  • Top nav: what's new; removed new group messages, articles and events

The last two items I kept falling asleep while doing. Sad

Still more to go, obvious things like the banner. Not sure how to go about that really, does anyone know what font this image is using? Otherwise the remaining bits aren't big; the staff list is definitely going to have to wait as I just dont' have time to tackle it right now. There's also going to be quite a lot of broken links...

We're pretty close, at this point I'm ready to declare Testlight open for actual testing, in the next 24 hours, open it up to smods and (not sure if I can make this call) perhaps even mods. If people can test functionality as thoroughly as possible. Example:

• Broken links aren't urgent, depending on what they are, I've noticed quite a few that will have to be fixed up over time, please note them but if your mod thread or one of your most popular threads is missing, yes I need to know.
  • Registration, lost password/activation email resend functionality. TL should be sending emails now
  • Test warnings and reported posts, make sure emails are sent and threads are created in the right folder
  • Even though the new URLs look a bit strange, existing links to threads should definitely still work, test paging on large threads and search engine results
  • Links or text referring to groups/group messaging, calendar/events or any other functionality we know aren't previously part of BL.
  • Test all the membership levels. Are GL'ers automatically promoted after an hour + 50 posts?, if you register but don't confirm your email, what can you see? What can BL'ers and Crew see? Can moderators warn outside their forum? Does the [MODTHREAD] tag not working expose any staff threads we need to have unapproved?
  • Check the home page and rest of the site in various browsers, particularly IE 7+ and Safari.
  • Check the site layout and home page in various screen sizes, there's a web developer toolbar for Firefox that will adjust your browser to the most popular screen resolutions.

I've got more stuff to do tomorrow but now is the time I need to know if I've missed something major because by this time tomorrow I will be deploying these changes to BL proper and getting ready to put the site back on.

Just drop a message here or email me with anything you find.

Thanks, hope you guys are ready to go back to work soon. Wink

hoptis wrote:Anyone who cannot get into Testlight at all or are having problems: please describe the problem, do you get an error message, does it time out? Does it ask you for the authentication login?

lockthemout/letmein

Thanks,

VVV We were having significant access issues, but they seem to be resolved. Let us know if any of you encounter issues.
hoptis wrote:I'm really puzzled by some of these access issues.

Answer 1. Testlight was created from a backup of BL, that backup was made around 15 May 2010. More than a year ago now.
ocean: your email address was a different one then and you were just a lowly mod.

Testing: At this point I have no objections to you guys opening TL up to everyone or anyone if it will help. As with ocean's issue before though, you will have to go to the control panel on TL (http://testlight.bluelight.ru/vb/goAdMin/) and update their staff status to reflect their same level on BL, hopefully you guys have excellent memories!

My only concern with mods is:

1. that they not be promoted to smods on TL as they might read something they're not supposed to, unless of course they have been promoted in the last year (like ocean was... twice Wink)

2. where do they report issues to? This forum is setup for smod and admins and I would advise against posting anything on TL that you want to keep. After the upgrade is over I intend to delete TL and replace it with a copy of BL again.

Any more access issues, I or another admin should be able to help you with.

Oh and importantly: when you find a problem, please give me some details as to how to reproduce it and the URL. Please don't just say something like "Testlight skin isn't working" or "The broken bit is broken". Wink Sorry for the crash course in software testing 101 but you're my only guinea pigs for now.

TLB wrote:
SUPPORT on TL should be available to whomever we let know about it, correct? Admin with access, please confirm the following - Only Staff can access TPH, only Sr. Staff can access SS (I know ocean said they 'look good' but I don't know if that is appearance, function, or permission wise). Once we know the sensitive forums are locked down proper, we can share the word with MODS ONLY by giving them the link to TL and reminding them it is STAFF ONLY at this point (also point out, as hoptis says, it's from a year ago, so some of them will need their account fixed upon entering).

Set up an ISSUES THREAD in the TL version of SUPPORT (better than TPH for those who don't get permissions fixed to mod level quick enough). Use that to collect the "Testing 101" problems they find. With the right help, we'll come out of the around this weekend with a good majority of issues ironed out, and a head start on teaching current staff the new system.

Once hoptis reaches a point of being ready to wipe TL and start anew, we can copy the ISSUES THREAD content into the BL Proper TPH forum for continued bug fixing. We can't copy or move the actual thread, but we can get all the relevant comments into a summary and post them. That way other staff coming in will have something to get up to speed with/from/on/preposition_at_the_end_OMG.

hoptis wrote:The new logo is up on TL, hopefully we'll be able to use it in a many other variations in the future. Spent a few hours on that alone.

TLB wrote:Before letting mods in, I'd get the MODTHREAD hack back in there, never know what mods have been discussing other mods in their forum modthread, and it'd be poor to have anyone find out they've been under discussion that way.

Look at that one tonight.

ocean wrote:
Blogs still does not have the Blogs Guidelines or the Mods listed.
Not sure how to do this in Blogs.

I would just keep a list of these, and I'll start going through them when the site goes back online, or try and get to it before. I have a copy of the old site so I can refer to that because I can't remember where we posted the Blogs Guidelines... yes it's important but I wouldn't call it urgent enough to keep the site offline?

ocean wrote:
Do you want us to list things like- Sigline option is available, I like the video option rather than the link, edits seem to work well and as normal, BLUA at the bottom of pages is missing......??
Or are you wanting more technical things?

Functional and technical, keep your own lists for now, when BL proper is back I'll make a thread in TPH I can slave through slowly. Didn't know video was turned on or sigs were available.... have you tested with other usergorups? Or just logged in as yourself because admins have pretty much all permissions.

BLUA link: will try and get that tonight too. *scribbles*

ocean wrote:
Where are we on letting Smods in?
I'll check the Smod forum to see if anything has been mentioned there-
How do we do permissions? Through the Admin CP as normal?

I already got doko to fix up the smod list on TL so it matches BL yesterday, don't see why they shouldn't have access immediately, can someone update them? Just copy giant slabs of my words out of this thread if you want to explain things quickly to them. Smile

ocean wrote:
Adding our mods in won't effect much will it or do we want to let Smods in now and then let Mods know what's going on and start a thread in TPH on functions and issues, once the site is brought up?

Umm... we should decide as a group when the site is ready to go back online, but it's now been a week. Chris posted a Twitter update saying Saturday now... and I've said in my last post that I'm mostly happy (maybe one or two more things that would be urgent/immediate attention). If you want to get smods/mods going through I need someone else to pick up that ball. I think you should all find as much time as you can ASAP to go through TL and report back your opinion of it's overall readiness. Remember that I will still need some time, 3/4 hours to copy these changes to BL before re-opening the site.

hoptis wrote:The new logo is up on TL, hopefully we'll be able to use it in a many other variations in the future. Spent a few hours on that alone.

TLB wrote:Before letting mods in, I'd get the MODTHREAD hack back in there, never know what mods have been discussing other mods in their forum modthread, and it'd be poor to have anyone find out they've been under discussion that way.

Look at that one tonight.

ocean wrote:
Blogs still does not have the Blogs Guidelines or the Mods listed.
Not sure how to do this in Blogs.

I would just keep a list of these, and I'll start going through them when the site goes back online, or try and get to it before. I have a copy of the old site so I can refer to that because I can't remember where we posted the Blogs Guidelines... yes it's important but I wouldn't call it urgent enough to keep the site offline?

ocean wrote:
Do you want us to list things like- Sigline option is available, I like the video option rather than the link, edits seem to work well and as normal, BLUA at the bottom of pages is missing......??
Or are you wanting more technical things?

Functional and technical, keep your own lists for now, when BL proper is back I'll make a thread in TPH I can slave through slowly. Didn't know video was turned on or sigs were available.... have you tested with other usergorups? Or just logged in as yourself because admins have pretty much all permissions.

BLUA link: will try and get that tonight too. *scribbles*

ocean wrote:
Where are we on letting Smods in?
I'll check the Smod forum to see if anything has been mentioned there-
How do we do permissions? Through the Admin CP as normal?

I already got doko to fix up the smod list on TL so it matches BL yesterday, don't see why they shouldn't have access immediately, can someone update them? Just copy giant slabs of my words out of this thread if you want to explain things quickly to them. Smile

ocean wrote:
Adding our mods in won't effect much will it or do we want to let Smods in now and then let Mods know what's going on and start a thread in TPH on functions and issues, once the site is brought up?

Umm... we should decide as a group when the site is ready to go back online, but it's now been a week. Chris posted a Twitter update saying Saturday now... and I've said in my last post that I'm mostly happy (maybe one or two more things that would be urgent/immediate attention). If you want to get smods/mods going through I need someone else to pick up that ball. I think you should all find as much time as you can ASAP to go through TL and report back your opinion of it's overall readiness. Remember that I will still need some time, 3/4 hours to copy these changes to BL before re-opening the site.

TLB wrote:BLUA link - if you get to it, fine, otherwise I can knock it out pretty quick tonight. I'd ask if you have more important issues to address first, since others (me) can do this.

I do know we have some usergroup-forum permissions still screwy, specifically unregistered persons. I'll run thru those tonight - validate ALL usergroups across ALL forums, since I recall pretty well what each ought to be. I know others have looked at this to some degree, but one more set of eyes won't hurt.

I've thrown a link to the smods, hopefully they'll start helping out. I'm thinking late Friday (approx) we ought to be able to send word out to mods (AIM, email, whatever) to come check things out and get their feet wet. I'm expecting by SAT (US time, SUN for AUS), or SUN-MON at the latest, we ought to be able to go live to the public. Once I can use tonight and tomorrow night to run thru TL, I can come back with what I think ought be tidied before live public launch, and I expect it will be minimal so we can hit this weekend. Of course, anyone else seeing significant uh-ohs can speak up...we need to catch all we can.

Um, yeah...that brings you smods up to the last 5 min of what has been happening. Please, when you get a chance, get on there and check things out. Thank you.

TLB

Back to top Go down

Need Help - Beta Testing of "Testlight" in preparation of bringing BL back up Empty Questions about "moderation tools"

Post  Tommyboy Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:21 am

I don't know if this should be in its own thread like "staff support," but I was wondering what the difference between the "move posts" and "copy posts" mod tools is. They seem to have the same function, so am I missing something?

Tommyboy

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down