Bluelight Admin and Senior Staff Discussion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bluelight Upgrade Updates

+4
chr1.5
phrozen
TLB
Admin
8 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

Bluelight Upgrade Updates - Page 4 Empty Re: Bluelight Upgrade Updates

Post  hoptis Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:20 pm

Had a kind of atrocious 10 or so hours tonight.

BLUA Lnk: instead of throwing this back in the footer, can I suggeset we use this feature:

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v715/hoptis/bl/proprose_blua_link.png

The 'Forum Rules' link is part of every forum index and posting page, I've changed this to point to the BLUA link now. Also, how many newbies really are aware what '"BLUA' means??

Points system: Thanks for updating Reed

Beside from that, I've lost an entire night fucking with vBulletin and not making much progess: I've been checking some of the complaints on vb.org about the new WYSIWYG editor, how much a buggy turd it is and I'm finding that out for myself.

At the moment I can't seem to turn off [VIDEO] tags, nor can I modify the toolbar in the WYSiWYG edictor. :X I think we're going to hear a bit about this later (the editor).

Chris went to bed but suggested midnight Saturday GMT, have a dinner 5pm today so I'll have to get back to you on availability. But regardless of outstanding defects, I'm not comfortable keeping the site offline much longer and I also have to squeeze time to copy all from TL to BL.

Which I'll probably start after getting some sleep...*so not staying awake right this minute).

hoptis

Back to top Go down

Post  n3ophy7e Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:42 pm

Okay I've finally had a chance to sit down and have a good look through testlight.

In addition to everything that you've all covered already, I thought I'd bring up this very minor annoyance:
Bluelight Upgrade Updates - Page 4 Screen230711
The red-circled bits indicate (obviously) how the second line of any of those profile fields cut across, it looks really messy. Is there any way to bring that second line of text back in line with the line above?
The green-circled bit reiterates what Reed has already brought up about where it says
Avatar: *so-andso's* avatar.....is it necessary to have this line in at all? And hoptis/Chris, can we cut that line out?

TLB wrote:Personally, I'd say keep the videos off BL for now,
I agree. I see no need to allow video embedding. I've seen it on other forums and it looks messy, plus I imagine that it takes up more server space. And another very minor point against allowing video embeddig: if by chance someone posts a video which is against the BLUA, it's already there on the page in front of everyone's faces. I know that's no different to when people post IMAGES that are against the BLUA but yeah, if we can avoid that I think we should.

Oh and I LOVE the "New posts since your last visit" link on the home page!

I will continue to look around TL Smile

n3ophy7e

Back to top Go down

Post  TLB Sat Jul 23, 2011 12:02 am

hoptis wrote:BLUA Lnk: instead of throwing this back in the footer, can I suggeset we use this feature:

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v715/hoptis/bl/proprose_blua_link.png

The 'Forum Rules' link is part of every forum index and posting page, I've changed this to point to the BLUA link now. Also, how many newbies really are aware what '"BLUA' means??

I'm fine with that. We can improve it later, but yeah, for now that's fine.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I thought I'd fixed our video problem, but no. vBulleting org and com have no help on disabling it. The best suggestion I saw was to edit out the template for video_bbcode. I tried commenting it out, and flat out deleting it, but the fucking videos keep working and posting (I've since restored the video_bbcode to it's original template form).

I also edited ACP -> Settings -> vB Options -> BB Code Settings -> "Allow remote [VIDEO] retrieval" from 3 down to 0, but I didn't see that do shit. It's still at 0 for now.

Last effort was to utilize this add-on "Convert [IMG] and [VIDEO] to [URL] in quoted text" which works as advertised. I removed the lines that effect IMG tags, leaving only the conversion to URL for VIDEO tags. However, this only effects quoted videos...perhaps we can modify it further to effect new posts? I'm not aware of all the hooks we'd need to apply it to, but I left the add-on in place if we wish to push it further to ALWAYS convert ALL VIDEO tags to URLs. I'll defer to hoptis on the feasiblity of this, or get back into it myself tomorrow.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Minor Annoyances:
  • flood is set at 5 min, even for admin (I need to fix that tomorrow)
  • This 'PROMOTE' function is turned on for admin, as hoptis noted, but man we need to be careful about it ... perhaps turn it off for BL and on for TL until we get more comfortable with it?
  • HTML Notices are fugly...we'll need to clean them up (look at the green box atop SUPPORT)
  • Pink Notice for "awaiting email confirmation" I don't think was showing when I checked that usergroup, I'll need to revisit that HTML box for fugliness and make sure it is 'on'.
  • If we have video's on, I tried to reply with one below a post that had one...the pop up for adding the video url was hidden under the video of the previous reply. This means you can't edit-enter the pop up info, stupid shit.

I would very much like to NOT open the can of worms with video 'on' when we go live. That is one hang up I can see holding off public launch until it is resolved. Clean up is much worse than holding off and ensuring we don't encounter the problems at all.

The WYSIWYG editor issues, I honestly didn't feel any but wasn't looking for them either. I'll give that another look tomorrow as well.

TLB

Back to top Go down

Post  ocean Sat Jul 23, 2011 12:56 am

What is WYSIWYG and what will Promote do?
I need to check if the Blogs promote or move option is still available......
Also, what is flood?

You both make a good point on the videos being available as is, but I do like the idea of KNOWING what I'm really about to watch.
I see both sides of this.
In TDS I can imagine it becoming a real issue- TLounge too.......
The option to turn it into a link would be great b/c then if we can't disable it completely before launch then at least we can have the Mods on the lookout for anything against the rules.
I think clean is good, but at the same time- how many new users are we losing with the site down? I think everyone is very anxious to get BL back up and running....I think have videos embedded shouldn't stop the launch.....
But that's my opinion......

Some of what has been said is way over my head and I will need some readjusting-
I was really hoping to get into the Admin chat so while discussion was taking place I could ask any questions as we go.....
I'm not really sure on how to make adjustments so I'm feeling pretty useless.
I'm off of work tomorrow so hopefully I'll have a few hours to dedicate to checking out TL.
I may have questions on how to change things around or will leave notes or PM someone online.

ocean

Back to top Go down

Post  hoptis Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:29 am

Yeah, not being to switch [VIDEO] off is a big concern.

I'll have a look at the add-on Reed installed when I can, I would much prefer to write my own plugin which I was trying to when I passed out this morning. It's really frustrating that we can't do something so simple with installing an add-on product. Surely they understand that many forums don't want people posting forums.

Additionally in v4.1.4, they JUST happened to replace the WYSIWYG (that's the editor where you type your posts, you know with all the icons on top and smilies on the side?) with CKEditor which has caused a lot of problems reading vBulletin.org. Even if we can remove the parsing of the [VIDEO] tag, I also have a to find a way to GET RID OF THE VIDEO BUTTON to users.

Reed: in regards the WYSIWYG, issues for me are:
  • I turn off attachments for all users but they are still able to upload images through the 'Image' icon, which allows them to upload and then tells them they don't have permissions. Stupid... I upload a 500k image and then get told I can't stored it on BL.
  • I can't remove the 'Table' buttons that are completely useless unless in WYSIWYG mode (which I'm turning off - WYSIWYG mode is like Word, I'm trying to get the editor to work like the old one)
  • The NSFW icon does work as expected in Editing mode, but switch to WYSIWYG mode and it just inserts [SIGLINE][/SIGLINE] (fufufufu).
  • There are numerous complaints on vBulletin forums about this new editor, hard to customise, slow and breaks in various browsers, some have gone as far as to downgrade their entire forum to get away from it. I don't think we need to go that far but it's actually quite poor ATM and I have the feeling it's going to piss user's off on-masse... but we'll have to live with it for now.

- 'Promote to Article': agree with turning it off for ALL except admin but it will be vital to our new forum and home page. Imagine this: new drug study from Inflexxion we want to put on home page... just to thread and hit 'Promote', same with any DiTM thread. We can make the version on the home page 'no comments'... if comments were allowed, that's what the 'vbCMS Comments' forum is for.

I'm sorry if this isn't 100% clear to everyone, if you think it's a lot to take on as an admin, imagine how much of a nightmare this is to engineer and then explain!

hoptis

Back to top Go down

Post  hoptis Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:30 am

n3ophy7e wrote:
The green-circled bit reiterates what Reed has already brought up about where it says
Avatar: *so-andso's* avatar.....is it necessary to have this line in at all? And hoptis/Chris, can we cut that line out?

I think it's a bug, no idea why it's there. Probably a mistake in the ARIA skin?

n3ophy7e wrote:Oh and I LOVE the "New posts since your last visit" link on the home page!

That's always been there. Very Happy

hoptis

Back to top Go down

Post  hoptis Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:33 am

Dinner in a couple hours, but from what I'm hearing we don't feel ready to open this up in the next 24 hours?

I'll be on AIM but a lot later, like tonight local time which will be ticking over Sunday GMT.

If we are not ready, I just want to update our Twitter and status page.

hoptis

Back to top Go down

Post  chr1.5 Sat Jul 23, 2011 6:04 am

The complaints are now heading in fast guys.. I'm having to avoid going places like msn/aim/tinychat to avoid the "CHRIS FIX BLUELIGHT" crap.

They're now getting unrested.

I can see putting another update up causing major problems.

Also I was hoping to get to say goodbye on the bl admin forum before I left but its only 4 days away until I want my privelidges completely removed. Also I don't particularly like the crew forum so I'd like to go back to normal bl'r status.

All the best.

Chris

chr1.5

Back to top Go down

Post  chr1.5 Sat Jul 23, 2011 6:09 am

.htaccess needs fixing... its not allowing avatars to be shown and giving a 500 internal server error when you try to view the image... I tried messing around with the .htaccess but couldn't figure it out... if you turn loglevel to debug in apache2 restart it and look at the error_log in logs/ then you'll find out where its going wrong.

Chris

chr1.5

Back to top Go down

Post  ocean Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:17 pm

Chris, would you be willing to stay until after a few days after whenever the launch is to help Hoptis and Reed (and the rest of us) work out the kinks?
I agree with you that people starting to lose patience- I'm getting messages too and #BL on FB is not a happy place right now Very Happy
I am also for getting it back up ASAP as long as the current changes needing to be done are somewhat simple fixes that wouldn't put Hoptis, Chris or Reed out to be changing while we're running as normal.
We can survive the video thing for a time.....

I'm going to brave AIM and hope that I don't get bombarded with Upgrade questions-
If any of you are on, message me and we can start planning in the other thread here for an Admin meeting.
I'm off today so I'll be around between cleaning house.

ocean

Back to top Go down

Post  hoptis Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:30 pm

Backing up the main site database now, when that's done I'm going to remove the IP restriction and the site will be in 'Closed' mode. Only admins can see the site when it's like that.

When you guys have had a look and you're happy set the site to 'On'. I expect that at least one of you can find that setting. Wink

Big thanks to Chris for his help this evening, we have:

• Disabled the [VIDEO] tag, this will no longer parse (save), existing examples will still work so don't forget to clean up your test posts.
  • CKEditor: removed the video button, removed the table buttons and the NSFW button (it wasn't working, the tag still does)
  • CKEditor: image button reverts to old functionality, only URL's can be entered no files uploaded.
  • .htaccess blocking avatars: not a problem
  • Double checked that only admins can upload attachments (for now, this can change later but we have to consider that we have a smaller, but faster hard disk)
  • Promote to Article is only available to admins

[quote=Rosie]The green-circled bit reiterates what Reed has already brought up about where it says
Avatar: *so-andso's* avatar.....is it necessary to have this line in at all? And hoptis/Chris, can we cut that line out? [/quote]

That's where your avatar should appear but we can change that later. Testlight doesn't have the full complement of avatars... that's all.

I'm going to do a bit more than head out to celebrate, it's only 3am here.

When you turn the site on...
- Don't forget to remove your test posts
- If there are any problems, anything at all that is raised and you can confirm is a major issue, turn the site off again immediately. As an admin you must know at least where the setting is to turn the site on and off, in an emergency (i.e. all forums are visible, members posts are disappearing or lots of threads are coming back with errors), your first recourse should be to turn the site off to prevent further damage and wait for one of us to look at it.

Backup is done... it's your call now ladies and gents. Smile

hoptis

Back to top Go down

Post  ocean Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:34 pm

you guys are our heroes!!!!
Thanks!
I'm ready whenever you guys are!
I don't know where the on/off button is but will be asking now.

ocean

Back to top Go down

Post  hoptis Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:50 pm

One final thing, check the first CMS post/news/annnouncement:

http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/content/2-Welcome-to-the-new-Bluelight

You should be able to edit yourself if you want to change anything.

Otherwise the site would have opened with that block kind of empty.

hoptis

Back to top Go down

Post  Cane2theLeft Sat Jul 23, 2011 3:02 pm

^ excellent, I added appreciation for yourself as well as you deserve a little public acknowledgement of all that you put in to this!!!

Cane2theLeft

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4