Bluelight Admin and Senior Staff Discussion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Expectations of Sr. Staff

+3
phrozen
ocean
TLB
7 posters

Go down

Expectations of Sr. Staff Empty Expectations of Sr. Staff

Post  TLB Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:51 pm

I promised to keep this admin only, but I do see this rolling over to smods before long.

Let me ask you, what expectations do you have of an admin? Of yourself? I'm not asking 'do you meet them?' or 'is so-and-so falling short?' I just want the baseline of expected performance from you guys, from that we can establish a standard criteria for the role to which all admin can be held.

For example:
  • How often should an admin log in? X times a day/week? Average of Y min/hr per day?
  • How much of an admin's participation is spent in MPC, Smod forum, TPH, or Modthreads?
  • What other 'invisible' things should an admin spend time on? (Answering Admin Emails comes to mind, I"m not sure what else)
  • How much of an admin's time is spent on personnel issues (staff problems) vs policy issues vs site management? This one is kind a loaded, and 'how much time' may not be what I'm after here. Perhaps it is how much should admin focus on one of these things vs having a different role address it (ie, relying on smods for most personnel issues OR policy issues, or both; site management by the 'owner' and engineers VS admin involvement and to what degree).

Anything else you can think of to help say at the end of the day 'Anyone wants to be an admin, you gotta do these things' (which plays for new applicants, and evaluation of anyone not pulling their weight).

I can see doing the same thing at smod level, but for now, let's focus on admin, from an admin perspective. We can roll in the smod views of admin next; then later kick a similar thread about smod roles. It'll be worth digging up the old threads (TPH? SUPPORT?) on defining the role as reference, it might have some of this and it's been forgotten, or it may have missed this.

TLB

Back to top Go down

Expectations of Sr. Staff Empty Re: Expectations of Sr. Staff

Post  TLB Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:54 pm

This does, in part, stem from some staff strife in recent months; but also from a recurring comment that while we ARE volunteers, it isn't a 'when you feel like it' job. If you commit to volunteer for this, you have to be there and do it, or step aside for someone who can (or not be surprised when you are called out for missing the mark). But at the heart of this, for me, is to have the bar set by those doing the job, so they acknowledge what it takes and re-affirm their commitment to that level. With the authority comes the responsibility.

TLB

Back to top Go down

Post  ocean Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:19 pm

TLB wrote:
For example:
  • How often should an admin log in? X times a day/week? Average of Y min/hr per day?
  • How much of an admin's participation is spent in MPC, Smod forum, TPH, or Modthreads?
  • What other 'invisible' things should an admin spend time on? (Answering Admin Emails comes to mind, I"m not sure what else)
  • How much of an admin's time is spent on personnel issues (staff problems) vs policy issues vs site management? This one is kind a loaded, and 'how much time' may not be what I'm after here. Perhaps it is how much should admin focus on one of these things vs having a different role address it (ie, relying on smods for most personnel issues OR policy issues, or both; site management by the 'owner' and engineers VS admin involvement and to what degree).

Thanks for getting this going Reed. I think it's a good idea to get this all laid out- And being new, It'll be good see this spelled out for me Smile

1) I think an Admin should log in at least a few days a week or give at least 4 hours a week to BL.
I know some of us work full time and saying '5 hours a week or more' can be difficult or unrealistic some weeks- or super easy (depending on the situation).
4 days a week I'm at work 11 hours (and basically out of the house 12+ hours since its 1hr driving and any errands needing to be done) This leaves me 3 days a week I am free.
This also means, all of my social life outside of BL happens those days- BUT that being said. I wake up 30 mins early each morning to do AT LEAST 30 mins check in, in the morning and try to do the same every evening. But I believe I can give at least 5 hours a week. (You know it'll likely be A LOT more, but w/e, not everyone is addicted) I'd be interested in hearing what everyone feels they CAN GIVE- that would give us a better idea of what kind of set times are attainable.

2,3 and 4- My answer blurs together here)
I think how much an Admin gives, depends on the Admin.....
Each of us have our strengths and I think we should base this by each of us individually.
That being said, I think we should each do a little of all of it....but maybe choosing the strengths in each of us to designate more emphasis on certain aspects of the running of things......
I think our participation in Modthreads and Sr Staff is very important.
I know missing Admins in the Modthreads has been brought up to me as complaints......for years actually.
And being present and active in Sr Staff hole is vital to keeping a good relationship and the transparency everyone is looking for.
TPH- I think keeping active there also helps to let all of staff know, we're available and we're open- Letting them know everyone will help- so if there is a situation where a Mod is uncomfortable with their Smod/Admin and wants to reach out for help.....knowing us through TPH may help them reach out rather than leave.

ocean

Back to top Go down

Post  phrozen Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:50 pm

How often should an admin log in? X times a day/week? Average of Y min/hr per day?
Every day. Could get away with every other day once in a while. I'm not sure we could put a set time... Certainly at least 30 minutes.

How much of an admin's participation is spent in MPC, Smod forum, TPH, or Modthreads?
Depends on how much time they have to dedicate to BL. BL 'business' should be the top priority.

What other 'invisible' things should an admin spend time on? (Answering Admin Emails comes to mind, I"m not sure what else)
Guiding people through private communications, particularly with pm's.

How much of an admin's time is spent on personnel issues (staff problems) vs policy issues vs site management?
Mostly on policy, unless the personal issues are related to their forum. Smods should be given a chance to address staff issues before the admins step in, IMO. (And they should work with the admins along the way, even if it's just mentioning the issue and actions taken to correct it.)

phrozen

Back to top Go down

Post  n3ophy7e Sat Jul 16, 2011 2:04 am

I totally agree with phrozen.

I could elaborate but I'd just be repeating every thing he said just with different words Very Happy

TLB wrote:How much of an admin's participation is spent in MPC, Smod forum, TPH, or Modthreads?
Obviously the staff forums and modthreads should be the highest priority for admins. If an admin is short of time they should at least check the MPC, Smod forum, TPH, PMs and their relevant modthreads. Then other matters should be addressed, and social threads/posts should be the last priority. Having said that though, it is still important for admins to be involved in some social threads for PR purposes Smile

ocean wrote:I think how much an Admin gives, depends on the Admin.....
Each of us have our strengths and I think we should base this by each of us individually.
I totally agree with this as well hun. It also depends on what areas of BL we're each involved with. And as you also said, being admins we should all aim to contribute to each of the aforementioned areas of responsiblity.

n3ophy7e

Back to top Go down

Post  Cane2theLeft Sat Jul 16, 2011 12:27 pm

I'm really on the same page with phrozen and n3o.

I think it's essential that admin are active pretty close to everyday and even averaging every other day would be insufficient for the requirements of the position (from what I can tell that is; obviously I'm still quite new to the position).

I think n3o's priority list is spot on - staff forums descending from the top, modthreads and PM's should be top priority. Then if there are any smod or mod absences that we're stepping in to help with, those would be important at those times as well.

Obviously there are times when unforeseen events transpire, but in general, I would stress the importance of admin notifying each other of any absences extending past 2 days or so in order for everyone else to know when we'll need to cover any issues that arise in their areas.

I really like what phrozen said about smods taking lead on personnel issues that come up while stressing the importance of keeping their admin(s) up to date on what's going on - obviously this became an issue with kokaino. As a smod I preferred to try to work out staff issues myself but in neglecting to let the admins know about all of it as it unfolded, when it reached the point where further action became possibly necessary, you guys were blindsided.

I'm happy to help with staff issues and I enjoy playing the mediator but overall I think it's good to empower the smods to handle a lot of this as the first line of action.

It looks like we're mostly on the same page so hopefully we can avoid some of the past problems that came up.

Cane2theLeft

Back to top Go down

Post  ocean Sat Jul 16, 2011 12:37 pm

^Agreed. Wink

ocean

Back to top Go down

Post  purplefirefly Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:23 pm

It may sound lame but I'm on board with what has been said so far by phrozen, n3o, and cane. I can't think of anything to add above what these folks said. Sums up how I feel pretty well.

purplefirefly

Back to top Go down

Post  TLB Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:57 am

In summary:

An admin is expected to (at a minimum):
  • Check in daily to give review of, and comments (or actions if appropriate) on
    • Admin forum
    • Smod forum
    • TPH
    • PMs
    • Assigned modthreads

• Provide support for the smods of their associated forums when it comes to personnel issues. Sr. Mods, not admin, are to take the active lead on staffing issues (mod selections, disciplinary actions). Admin support of the smod on these activites would be coaching, providing additional information, and executing decisions reached by the involved staff.

• It is encouraged that admin remain visibly active in social threads (staff and public) to maintain relationships, open communication, and member-staff confidence in their abilities.

It is not expected that these activities take more than 30 min a day, however more time may be required for special activities.

So, can we move this thread to the Smod forum and get their take on it? Then see about setting them up with a smod role review?

TLB

Back to top Go down

Post  purplefirefly Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:15 pm

That sounds perfect to me Reed. I've no issues with rolling that over to Sr Staff.

purplefirefly

Back to top Go down

Post  n3ophy7e Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:39 am

Looks great Reed!

n3ophy7e

Back to top Go down

Post  ocean Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:52 am

That's perfect Reed.

ocean

Back to top Go down

Post  TLB Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:07 am

So, smods - how does the admin role appear to you? Are we missing something?

Also, any of you want to try a similar flesh-out of the smod role?

TLB

Back to top Go down

Post  Tommyboy Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:21 pm

TLB wrote:So, smods - how does the admin role appear to you? Are we missing something?

Also, any of you want to try a similar flesh-out of the smod role?

I think that the admin role is outlined pretty well in the above posts. The only thing that I think could be added for all senior staff would be to check the "support" forum. I know that a lot of senior staff already frequents that forum, but I think it would be good for all senior staff to be familiar with the kinds of issues that are being raised by the community. I wouldn't expect administrators to get involved in the basic questions (how many posts til bluelighter status etc..), but there are some threads that may benefit from an admin response. I know that TLB has a large presence in that forum, but I am unaware of the capacity that he will be involved there with the new role he is taking on.

As for the smod role, I am going to edit the post by TLB to make it cater to the role of the smod.

In summary:

A senior moderator is expected to (at a minimum):
  • Check in daily to give review of, and comments (or actions if appropriate) on
    • Smod forum
    • TPH
    • PMs (including PMing troublesome users in associated forums)
    • RP thread (including banning spammers)
    • I.P checks
    • Assigned modthreads

• Provide support for the mods of their associated forums when it comes to personnel issues. Take the active lead on staffing issues (mod selections, disciplinary actions, infracting members for abusing moderators via PM).

• It is encouraged that smods remain visibly active in their home forum(s), as well as in TPH and Secret Squirrel Hideout to maintain relationships, open communication, and member-staff confidence in their abilities.

Tommyboy

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum